Saturday, May 3, 2008

Director's Statement

Might need a little refining but here are my thoughts on the project.


Director's Statement


Cicada is about an 8 year old boy, Josh who isolates himself from his family and turns to his fascination with cicadas for fulfillment. The story also features Josh's brother Aden, who is only 3 years old and refuses to speak. When Josh discovers a wounded cicada he decides to take care of it, however problems arise when Aden sees that it is coming between them. When Josh is faced with rising conflict he must choose between the familiar comfort he finds in solitude and the warmth of his family.

I was originally drawn to this story because of the relationships it touches on. The bond between brothers and the mother to son relationship. The ways in which people treat each other because they love them, and how these relationships can be so strong yet at the same time so fragile. As an offshoot from this main idea I wanted to look at isolation as a type on insulation from these relationships. The way people can close themselves off to avoid feeling and interaction. This is personified through Josh who, as a fairly sensitive character, represents the idea of isolation as a form of emotional comfort.

As this will be an animation I have a lot of creative freedom in the visual style that I create. I'm wanting to create a world that is very illustrative, that incorporates vivid colours and striking shapes, that could possibly resemble a picture story book. However I don't want to stray too far from reality as I feel that it may trivialize some of the story's content. The colours will be quite warm, drawing inspiration from an afternoon sun covering a suburban landscape with a soft glow. However the colours will vary as they will play an important role in communicating the tone of the scene. I plan to be fairly conventional with my framing and editing on this animation as I feel that anything else would just distract the viewer from the story.

In terms of influence and inspiration for this animation I've tried to keep myself fairly limited. While I'm aware that I'm no doubt subconsciously influenced by a myriad of films and other forms of art, I'm not actively trying to inject anything into my work. That said the Pixar films have always been a huge inspiration to me, not only for their gorgeous imagery and animation but the stories that they craft. Something I want to achieve in this animation is conflict. What I mean by this is that I want the characters in the story to clash. The last thing I want to do is have a bunch of scenes that are just exposition, that would be boring.

The crew on this project is pretty small but are going to play a pivotal role in its success. Jack Haycox is producing the short and his experience in dealing with actors and other external factors will be invaluable throughout the process. Pete Giannoukas is covering all things sound related and I will be collaborating with him closely to create sound design that will help immerse the audience in the story. Right now the use of music is still very much in the air, mainly for fear of over saturation. I don't want the music to inform people of how they should feel, I want the actions that the characters take to evoke emotion.

I'm excited to be working on this project and look forward to seeing how it grows and evolves over the coming months.

No comments: