Sunday, March 30, 2008

Backtracking: Revisiting the Premise/Controlling Idea

In reviewing some of the ideas that were explained in the Stephen Cleary workshop I found that my initial premise wasn't very accurate. This was mainly due to my lack of knowledge of the character, more specifically the protagonist. This is something that poses a problem as I still don't have a concrete image of this ever elusive protagonist however I think now I have a better understanding of him.

This understanding came when applying the idea of want vs need.

  • Joshua wants to isolate himself from the rest of his family and find companionship in the Cicadas he collects.
  • Joshua needs to change and embrace his brother to get his Mother's attention, and fill the void that he feels.


While these statements are still a little rough, they help me to better understand Joshua, and through Joshua the theme of the story. And from what I can tell, it's about isolation. About closing yourself off from people. Through the story I want to show a positive outcome that compassion/companionship prevails over isolation. This will be personified through Aden, the brother. Aden is the antagonist. He is the problem, but he also offers the solution.

No comments: