Saturday, March 29, 2008

Stephen Cleary Workshop

Yesterday we had the Stephen Cleary workshop. It really helped to clarify a lot of things in my head about structure and character and telling your story. It's good and bad, good because I have a better understanding that I can apply to my script, bad because it's going to slow me down a little more as I revisit some areas of my story.

Here's the main points I got from the workshop, this lets me revise what was said as well as document a little of what I'm doing.

- It's not the story, it's HOW you tell the story which is key.

- You should be making the audience think and feel how you want them to.

- If you know your character then the scene will write itself. You don't choose what the character will do, there's only one option.

- The script is what you write after you've done all your development work. It should just flow, if you're having to make decisions then you haven't done enough ground work. Train HARD, fight EASY!

- The dilemma of need vs want. Find out what the character needs to do to succeed, then track his willingness to change and how he comes to the realisation. Generally if it's a happy story he will change, however if it's sad then he'll be stubborn and remain as he is.

- The moment of truth where the character is faced with change, giving up a part of himself to achieve what he needs vs choosing to remain how he is and not achieving what he needs.

- The antagonist allows the possibility of change. The problem offers the solution.

- You don't make up the character, you find out who they are by asking questions. If you can't answer the questions then you're not ready.

- The 3 main turning points that make up the basis of your story. The inciting incident, that creates the imbalance and subsequently the story. The turning point where the character discovers that maybe they need to change. The climax where the character is faced with the choice to change or to remain.

No comments: