Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Premise

Last class we talked about the premise of our stories and how important it is to have something to come back to when writing your story. It's in the last few days that I've realised that my premise wasn't as strong as I thought it was, and as such I've been trying to really get to the heart of what I'm trying to say in this story.

Essentially what I'm looking at is the relationship between the brothers in this story. The older brother doesn't relate to his younger brother, and because he does not feel this empathy, he rejects him. The story will ultimately be about the boy discovering his brothers TRUE CHARACTER. The boy will learn that while he may not share all that much with his brother on a superficial level, their core beliefs aren't so different.

This development between the brothers will be driven by the Cicada, which will act more as a plot device.

I'm not sure how this stacks up as a premise so I might do some more research into premise just to strengthen the foundations.

No comments: