Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sibling Rivalry

Some summarised research into Sibling Rivalry.

The main cause stems simply from jealousy and competition. However other factors can influence it as well including:
  • Evolving needs - kids have changing needs as they grow up. Toddlers are very protective of their toys and belongings. School age kids often have a strong concept of fairness and equality. Teenagers are developing a sense of independence and individuality.
  • Individual Temperaments - One child might be laid back while the other strict.
  • Special needs - kids may act up if there is a sick/disabled kid because he is getting more attention or maybe out of fear for his brother.
Arabic saying:
"I against my brother; my brother and I against my cousin; I, my brother and my cousin against the stranger."

Kyla Boyse, University of Michigan says:
"Each child in a family competes to define who they are as individuals and want to show that they are separate from their siblings."


Sources:
Kidshealth - http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/sibling_rivalry.html
Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibling_rivalry

No comments: